Thursday, September 9, 2010

30 or out of debt = a trip to Ireland

Recently, I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I'm going to be 27 in February and I'm still living at home because I'm up to my eyeballs in debt. I've also been doing some thinking about how I SOOOOOO very much want to go on a trip to Ireland.  Now I've got myself a little incentive to get myself out of debt faster!  I've decided that I'm going to reward myself with a trip to Ireland when 1 of these 2 things happens:
1. I get out of debt.

2. I turn 30.

So that is where you all come in....I am looking for advice in the forms of:

~ blogs
~forums
~tips
~personal stories - you can e-mail me privately if you would like
~etc.

On the subjects of budgeting, frugal living, debt reduction, or other area related to these subjects.  I need all the help that I can get and I need a giant cheering section to keep me on track.  Because by the end of this whole thing the name of my blog could very well be my state of mind!

Also, has anyone out there ever been to Ireland?  I've never even been on an airplane so I really have no idea what to expect!  If you have or you know someone who has I am looking for all sorts of information....basically anything I can get my hands on!  So feel free to fire away!

Literally, I'm all ears!

10 comments:

BridgeEtta said...

What a good goal! I'm totally on your side on this one. I've been up to my eyeballs, drowning in debt and I've been debt free. You can't even imagine how good it feels to have no debt. Mind you it means you can't have every thing or even just any old thing you want but boy can you breathe better and you learn to appreciate the good things instead of the expensive things in life. I think the Emerald Isle would be almost as pretty as Wales, it's so close just across a little bit of water.

Rebecca said...

My sister-in-law is getting married in Ireland this coming week! We were going to try to make it, but the trip was going to cost us too much. :( However, I finally got a passport, and we got them for the kids too. I'd recommend that as a first step. Maybe talk to a travel consultant and see if you can find a good travel book for there. And find all the blogs you can on the subject, lol. :)

Rebecca said...

Ok, now for my other advice. Finances! Good luck on this journey! It takes discipline and sacrifice, but you can do it!!! My husband and I did Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and it was one of the absolute best things (if not the best!) we could have done for our marriage & our finances. We learned soooooo much and are working the plan so we can live debt free asap! I totally recommend this to anyone who needs help with finances. Visit his site (www.daveramsey.com) and look for a place hosting his program. Otherwise, at least pick up the book. I recommended it to a friend and she had the book sitting at home and she & her husband began applying the principles and were able to not lose their home to foreclosure. Again, best of luck and if you have any questions for me I would welcome the dialogue. :)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

You've taken the first step... you've got your goals. I really like Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. It's Christian based, but the financial advice is still life changing no matter what. You can read his books or take the course. Find one near you on his website.

Mz-Cellaneous said...

Ditto on dave ramsey, he's good stuff there!!

Gloria said...

Hi, Jamie. I have absolutely NO financial advice. If I did, I wouldn't be up to my ears in bills. BUT, I do have this advice: start NOW to save for your trip. Even if it's a dollar a day, by the time you get to your 30th bday, at least it will help pay PART of the trip. And if you have to go into more debt to take the trip? I'd say GO FOR IT. A trip to Ireland is something you will NEVER forget and it will be worth the money. I know, this wasn't that great of a piece of advice, but I am just one big spender!
Best,
Gloria

BridgeEtta said...

There's an interesting, little book with really good financial advice in it: "The Richest Man in Babylon." It's kind of fun little read but with some really good points. I'd recommend that everyone read it.

Erin said...

Okay I have NO advice on getting out of debt or any of that...but I so hope you make it to Ireland, I have had 2 opportunities to go and turned both of them down and could just KICK myself! So I hope you get it done!!

SoMo Mom said...

Good for you! It looks beautiful!!! Thanks for visiting on my sits day! I think I'm am still reeling from the blog "love"... I'm so glad you were inspired by the Make Your Mark post. That book is the best!
Steph from www.southernmomentum.com

CK said...

Ooo! I'll have to think about this one! If I find some good info, I'll send it to you. I know I've heard/read good stuff before- I just gotta find it again.
And awesome goal!!! Ireland sounds amazing!
-CK